This recipe is from Emma Knight and Christine Flynn’s beautiful new cookbook How To Eat with One Hand. It offers simple and delicious recipes for every stage of new parenthood.
The recipe is delicious and comforting -it also got the kiddies involved which can sometimes (aka usually/ almost always) be more work but in this case it was easy getting them to help with all the layers and assembly.
Highly recommend making this one 😍😍
4 medium eggplants
2 tbsp salt
1 cup flour (I used Gf)
2 cups shredded pecorino or parm (I did 50/50)
1 cup shredded mozzarella
2.5-3 cups marinara
1 ball Buffalo mozzarella sliced
1. Preheat oven to 375F
2. Cut 2 of the eggplants lengthwise in 1/2 slices and cut the other 2 crosswise into 1/2 inch thick circles
3. Crack eggs in bowl and combine with 1 tbsp salt.
4. Place flour and 1 tbsp salt in another bowl.
5. Heat a skillet over medium high heat with 1/2 inch of olive oil.
6. Toss eggplant in flour, shake off then dip in egg mixture.
7. Fry pieces 1-2 mins aside until golden brown (do this in batches). Place eggplant in a baking sheet with paper towel to drain and season with more salt.
8. Combine pecorino and mozzarella cheeses. In a 9 x 13 baking dish, spread 1/2 cup marinara, eggplant rounds and top with 1 cup cheese. Then do long slices eggplant, 1/2 cup sauce and 1 cup cheese. Continue to layer (do not put cheese on the top layer)
9. Bake for 45 mins. Turn off oven. Add sliced mozzarella to the top and bake for another 5 mins.
10. Top with fresh basil and ....
The perfect easy (& one handed) eggplant parm.